Saturday, January 12, 2008

BARF diets

[period of obsession] ~ 8 hours
[research goal] best possible diet for Misty
[research area] 6 English online cat forums, 4 Taiwanese cat forums, 2 HKness cat forums, and multiple vet websites.

After all have been read, compared, reviewed, and summarized, I decided to go with this new idea: the Bones And Raw Food Diet (BARF diet: www.barfworld.com/)

Lots of info of these diet can be found by Google "BARF" or "raw diet".

So, the idea is to offer homemade raw food to your pet. I am totally into it. I once made fish food mix (beef heart, veggie, gelatin etc) for my discus fish, grain mix for my hamsters, lizard food mix (2 meats, 4 veggies, egg, and vitamin) for our water dragon, etc. I don't usually trust/like pre-processed food, not even canned chili which Scott loves.

So, I formulated these two wet food mix:

Mix A ---------------------
1) 250g raw lamb mince
2) 100g boiled white fish (alternate with boiled salmon) pick fat fish oil part for Omage 3 fatty acid
3) 20g raw finely diced broccoli,
4) 20g roasted and mushed pumpkin (alternate with yam)
5) small apple chunks
6) 20g plain yogurt
7) mix in some vitamin powder

Mix B ---------------------
1) boiled boneless skinless chicken grounded
2) raw beef mince
3) cooked mushed egg yolk. ……….. small portion
4) Diced raw carrots,
5) mushed banana
6) rolled oats (covered in water and microwaved 1 minute, to make porridge)
7) mix in some vitamin powder

Also, in order to make up nutrients that's still missing, we will put out a dry food mix. Good dry food is boosted with taurine and other essential amino acids for cat that is scarce in other diet.

Dry food mix:
Advance Kitten food and Optimum Kitten food is what Misty grows up with. I am still researching details of other dry food...

Moreover, we will give her raw chicken neck for calcium and teeth cleaning.
reference: http://www.ozpets.com.au/articles/397/FeedingrawbonestoCats.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As far as the dry food goes, I feed my cat Advance brand (possibly Australia only) cat food, on my vet's recommendation. She recommeded a few brands and this one seemed best to me when I read the ingredient lists on the packages.

They have different types according to age and weight/obesity of cat, which I reckon is a good sign since it means the manufacturer is at least taking an interest in the health of the animals.

Best thing is kitty loves it, in preference to raw chicken!!

I'm now to give your BARF diet a go for a bit of variety for her. Thanks.

elyse said...

I am really happy to find your blog - your kitty is so awesome and your kitty recipes delightful! i first found the post where you do step by step of your recipe and you use roo mince... so funny to this American. More kitty food updates plz!!! =D